Tuesday, June 13, 2006

SAYANG SIYA...


* I was trying to retrieve my old blogs in my previous journal when I chanced upon this particular entry that I wrote a few years ago. It seemed to have sparked the GABRIELA in me so I'd like to dedicate this to all the women out there- whether she's a professional, a student, a factory worker, or a "G.R.O."- we should not, in any way, be violated nor used as a merchandise by some dude out there who takes advantage of our gender.
Weakness can not be equated with womanhood. Never.


* * *

I was hopelessly and desperately waiting for an FX to ride in (as always) last Saturday when I chanced upon this very charming lady, in her teens, I guess, approaching each and every man that comes along her way and with her sweetest, enticing smile, she'd greet them with "Hi! I'm...(didn't get her name)". Some of the guys would only smile back and some would try to spark a conversation. Now there was one fellow, who looks decent enough for me and might have been charmed by this pretty lass so he sort of followed the girl, (who's now ready to go with him) but eventually changed his mind when a suspicious-looking fag approached them and mumbled something. I guess he scared the potential customer off.

I could've stayed longer to observe all these goings-on but a slick, maroon Adventure stopped in front of me, its driver holding a sign that read "*****". Since I was there for half an hour already and my varicose veins have gone berserk, I decided to hop in beside the driver. The FX lingered on the same spot for a few minutes so he could pick up more passengers. Perhaps the driver noticed me looking intently at the poor girl's direction (now talking to a D.O.M.! Eeewww!!!).

"Mam, maraming ganyan dito sa kahabaan ng Aurora. Mga bata pa yung iba".

"Talaga? Nanghihinayang nga ako dyan sa batang yan o. Ang ganda pa naman. Sana nag-artista na lang siya", I commented.

"Oo nga ho eh. Sayang siya", the driver added.

Sayang. Yeah, I think that's the right word. This girl should've been in school, wearing a decent uniform, and enjoying her college life; but the pangs of reality bite. Perhaps she needed money to support her family- and the easiest way to get it is to sell her young, innocent body.

Something was stirred in my heart. I wanted to reach out to her and take her instead; away from the madness she's in right now. I want to talk her out of the mess she got herself into. However, I'm in no position to do that; 'lest I wanted to get into trouble myself (she might be under a syndicate or something.) Well, I'm a woman. And we should no be violated in any way. One day, I hope, I won't see her around in that area anymore. I just wish and pray she'll be reedeemed from that hell.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sigh...

This post makes me recall, well, people I have in my history. And since this has a feministic appeal to it, allow me to isolate the males from the ladies.

...

Sayang pa rin all the same. Poverty is such a bitch, I know, but that's still the way the cookie crumbles.

Here's to life.

Cheers!

(Sorry guys if I haven't been squirming silly as of the late.)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've seen a lot of those in that area at certain times of night. But what can we do? To them, that's the easiest way to put food on the table.

Anonymous said...

that's the sad reality...let's just pray na balang araw they'll see the light.